When Nokia has launched its first ever Android smartphone, Nokia X everyone was so much excited to know how it will work, which Android platform will be there and so on, but when Nokia unveiled X which runs on highly customized Android based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), it runs Microsoft and Nokia apps like OneDrive, Skype, Outlook.com, Nokia Here maps instead of Google Play store it has Nokia Store.
Nokia is offering side-loading of Android apps from any third-party source like 1mobile market, SlideME market, Aptoide, and Yandex Store. However you can install and run Google Play store by rooting it, rooting means giving root permission to user which ultimately means you will have right to install apps which sometime requires system permission.
By rooting you might lose your warranty too. So root at your own risk
- Fully charged phone
- Nokia composite ADB interface
- Root Explorer
- Google Service APK
- Enable USB debugging by navigating to Settings > Developer and check USB debugging box
- Download Framaroot.Apk on your Nokia X or download on your PC and transfer to Nokia X
- Navigate to Framaroot.Apk folder on your Nokia X and tap on .apk file to start installation process
- Once installation is finished, search for app icon from app drawer so that we can install SuperSU
- Open SuperSU file and choose the Gandalf exploit from dropdown option in the Farmaroot app
- Once installation is finished you will get a success pop-up message and you need to restart Nokia X
- Download and install Nokia composite ADB interface on your Windows computer and you should have two folders, KingoRoot_NokiaX_Mod and Nokia X USB drivers.
- Now connect your Nokia X to PC via USB and open your device Manager (right click on My Computer icon and select Manage) and then right click on connected device to update its drivers which can be found on Nokia X USB drivers folder
- Now open KingoRoot.exe from Nokia Composite ADB folder, when it launches, it gives you a option to Root your Nokia X, just click on Root button and it will root your device and also install SuperSU app, this process can take few minutes so grab a coffee for yourself
- Once KingoRoot app shows Rooted, reboot your device and launch SuperSU app on Nokia X, it will ask for few permission, grant it and move ahead
- Either download Google Service APK to Nokia X or to your PC and transfer it to Nokia X via USB
- Now using Root Explorer navigate to Google Service APK folder and select all files, from menu select extract all, extracted APKs will be stored on microSD card under SpeedSoftware folder [do not install any apk at this time]
- Again using Root Explorer navigate to SpeedSoftware folder and select all files and from menu select cut option and paste them to /system/apps/ folder
- Now select all pasted apks and from menu choose Permission option, now a pop-up will comes up and make sure Owner, Group and Other options should have Read Only checked and Owner should have the Write option checked
- Reboot your Nokia X once you change permission for all the extracted Google APK files
- Once rebooted you will find Google Hangout, Google Play and Gmail apps, you download and install more apps from Google Play store.
Enjoy your rooted Nokia X, If you had updated or having version 11.1.1 which has new security features, then also this method will work. Do let us know what issue you had faced or how you are enjoying your rooted Nokia X.